Friday, February 12, 2010

And so it begins....

I've been itching to get back into my quilting for many moons. But life takes over, and you get involved in so many things. When the kids were all in school, I thought I'd have more time, but there was PTO, volunteering, and lots of church responsibilities. Then I became a teacher and started working, so there was less time. So I've decided to stop waiting for there to be more time, and just make time to get back into it.

One of my limitations has been that I'm a pretty slow hand-quilter, and I don't know how to machine quilt with any real level of attractiveness. I make a baby quilt for each of my grandchildren, and it's all hand-quilted. So they get those quilts at about age 1 1/2! So sad. Even worse is that this keeps me from taking on other new and fun projects that don't take so long. This year I've challenged myself to complete 8 quilts of various sizes. I want to create 5 to donate to Quilts of Valor, plus another 3 or so for home use. Our stash of quilts has really disappeared over the years, as some have been worn out or damaged, but not replaced.

I started this week by making quilts for our assistant principal and his wife, who just had twin girls. I decided to tie them, so it could be quick. One down, one needs to finish tying, then binding. The design is a postage stamp design, and it was fun to make. I altered the sizes of the blocks to make it more fun, but kept the fabrics the same. But it made me itch for when my machine quilting skills improve enough to do some stippling instead!


This is the back...

3 comments:

  1. Pictures! I think you should get a darning foot to use with your current machine; it will be far cheaper than a long arm quilter. My biggest trouble adjusting to it is that there is no pressure holding the fabric in place, so the twin size quilt I am quilting moves around more than I'd like. It is also strange that speeding up the stitch speed doesn't mean I have to move the fabric quickly; it just means that the stitches will be smaller. I am so used to a direct relationship between stitch speed and fabric moving speed that it is hard to disconnect those two variables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for putting up the pictures. I think it is a really cute pattern.

    ReplyDelete